As of Monday, August 22
Sufferers hospitalized with COVID-19
- OHSU: 18
- Hillsboro Medical Heart: 5
- OHSU Hospital and OHSU Well being Hillsboro Medical Heart hospitalization particulars:
- 8 Not Totally Vaccinated
- 12 Totally Vaccinated
- 3 Totally Vaccinated with Booster
- 0 de-isolated
- 23 infectious
- 6 Sufferers in ICU
- 4 Not Totally Vaccinated
- 1 Totally Vaccinated
- 1 Totally Vaccinated with Booster
- 2 Sufferers on a Ventilator
- 2 Not Totally Vaccinated
- 0 Totally Vaccinated
- 0 Totally Vaccinated with Booster
- Adventist Well being Portland: 8
- Since Feb. 28, 2020, there have been 256,536 sufferers examined. Amongst these, a complete of 28,084 COVID-19 instances have been detected; 18 sufferers are presently in hospital; and 187 sufferers have checks pending. There have been 201 in-hospital deaths.
- There have been 5 new detected affected person instances since August 18.
- Up to now, OHSU has accomplished 45,108 COVID-19 checks for 14,033 employees and college students. Of these, 4,549 checks for 3,737 employees and college students detected COVID-19; 40,127 checks for 12,506 people resulted in not detected; 294 checks are pending.
OHSU group vaccinations
- OHSU has administered 451,905 vaccine doses by way of its group vaccination websites, along with the 546,166 vaccine doses administered to this point by way of the Oregon Conference Heart vaccination web site, which was collectively managed by OHSU, Legacy Well being, Kaiser Permanente and Windfall Well being & Providers. (For extra details about group areas and who’s eligible, see “Group COVID-19 vaccination websites” beneath.)
Because the state’s educational well being middle, Oregon Well being & Science College stays engaged with state and native public well being authorities and well being programs throughout the metro space to coordinate a regional response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The objective is to include the unfold of the virus, together with by way of using vaccines that first arrived at OHSU on Dec. 15, 2020.
Starting within the earliest days of the pandemic, OHSU activated an emergency operations middle that tailored response plans already in place from earlier pandemic influenza outbreaks, and this group continues to fulfill.
OHSU has ready to deal with a surge of sufferers with COVID-19 whereas working proactively to include the unfold of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and defend our workforce.
Group COVID-19 vaccination websites
OHSU has dedicated its total group to deploying COVID-19 vaccines, beginning with difficult-to-reach group members and underserved communities. The college has additionally engaged college students and trainees to vaccinate Oregonians.
After federal and state authorities advisable two COVID vaccines for kids as younger as 6 months outdated in June 2022, OHSU organized appointment-only vaccination clinics for youthful kids at OHSU Doernbecher Kids’s Hospital. OHSU Well being additionally continues to supply vaccinations for people 12 years or older by appointment solely at numerous OHSU Well being pharmacies, and on a walk-in foundation for people 5 years or older by way of community-based vaccination occasions.
Extra details about OHSU vaccine providers and our on-line vaccination appointment reservation system is offered on the OHSU COVID-19 Vaccines web site.
The mass-vaccination clinics on the Portland Worldwide Airport, Crimson Financial system Parking Lot and Oregon Conference Heart closed June 19, 2021, after delivering greater than 800,000 vaccine doses from these two websites alone. OHSU’s final day managing the Portland Expo Heart location was Jan. 14, 2022. OHSU additionally ran an indoor vaccination clinic on OHSU’s South Waterfront campus between Jan. 19 and April 14, 2022.
OHSU is dedicated to making sure all Oregonians have entry to COVID-19 testing and acceptable well being care, notably individuals of colour and different people from communities hardest hit by COVID-19. All through the pandemic, OHSU provided low-barrier drive-through testing that has tracked surges in case counts, at numerous factors accommodating as many as 700 individuals a day by way of websites in Hillsboro, the Oregon Conference Heart and the Portland Expo Heart.
Beginning March 14, 2022, sufferers and group members can get free COVID-19 testing at OHSU speedy care clinics on its South Waterfront Campus and in Beaverton. Testing will likely be indoor and by appointment from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday by way of Friday. Individuals might name OHSU’s Linked Care Heart at 833-647-8222 to schedule.
Study extra about different OHSU COVID-19 testing choices and sources.
Affected person care
- OHSU is following the U.S. Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention’s suggestions to permit vital perform well being care employees to return to work six days, moderately than 10 days, after a COVID-19 an infection below the next circumstances: Workers have had gentle to average sickness and aren’t immunocompromised; and their signs are bettering and they’re in any other case feeling nicely. This modification displays contingency capability staffing requirements in place to handle group well being care wants and staffing challenges associated to COVID-19. Workers on this place will likely be required to put on N-95 masks.
- On Feb. 1, 2022, OHSU opened a Centralized Transportation Heart. Workers is offered seven days per week to assist schedule transportation for sufferers shifting between buildings or discharging from the hospital and clinics. The middle permits OHSU to extra shortly make house for brand spanking new sufferers in the course of the present surge in instances pushed by the omicron variant.
- OHSU manages an unprecedented surge of critically unwell sufferers from the delta variant starting in the summertime of 2021. Frontline well being care employees reiterate the significance of individuals getting vaccinated. “It is a preventable sickness,” says Erin Boni, R.N., B.S.N., “This does not should occur to anybody anymore.”
- OHSU has established a Lengthy COVID-19 Program to offer complete, coordinated take care of individuals experiencing debilitating signs months after their an infection.
- OHSU has established a collection of steps to organize sufferers who’ve recovered from COVID-19 for elective surgical procedure following their sickness. It is believed to be the primary revealed protocol laying out a COVID-era path ahead in American medication.
- OHSU has applied a “masks on” coverage for all sufferers, guests and employees contained in the hospital. All workers who work in affected person care areas obtain masks offered by OHSU.
- OHSU’s analysis group got here collectively to launch an in-house COVID-19 testing lab on March 24, 2020. The lab is an instance of the various collaborations which have been taking place at OHSU and within the well being care group. On this case, members of the analysis group rallied to assist the scientific group and testing in a drive to fight COVID-19. The lab’s capability significantly expanded in October 2020.
- In June 2021, OHSU acquired federal and state funding to dramatically broaden the state’s capability to trace variants of concern throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington.
- OHSU’s Telemedicine Program presents a possibility for sufferers to seek the advice of with licensed clinicians by way of a phone or video connection from their house, limiting limitations to well being care entry. The service has expanded exponentially in response to COVID-19.
- OHSU has provided childcare lodging, together with a $7.5 million hardship stipend, to assist maintain its workforce in the course of the pandemic.
- A coaching video OHSU developed to organize its college students and employees to present COVID-19 vaccines is now getting used to coach California paramedics and emergency medical technicians as that state ramps up its combat towards the pandemic.
- OHSU has instituted a wellness program designed to assist clinicians, workers and college students in the course of the COVID-19 pandemic. One instance is a grant-funded program that paid native eating places to produce scorching meals for high-impact frontline well being care employees following the vacations.
- OHSU is selling bodily distancing throughout the college, and consists of requiring non-critical perform workers to work remotely and minimizing the variety of individuals gathered for in-person conferences by way of video and teleconferencing options.
Analysis and growth
- OHSU knowledge scientist Peter Graven, Ph.D., has offered weekly updates of projections for hospitalizations statewide, which is able to turn into biweekly because the wave of infections generated by the omicron variant recedes. Starting early within the pandemic, Graven modeled the projected unchecked unfold of the virus and started sharing these projections with state and native policymakers on the onset of the pandemic in Oregon in March of 2020. These projections helped inform Oregon’s “Keep Residence, Save Lives” efforts to cut back the unfold of the virus and guarantee it does not exceed the capability of well being programs to deal with a surge of sufferers who required hospitalization.
- A laboratory research revealed Dec. 16, 2021, means that breakthrough infections following vaccination generate “tremendous immunity” to COVID-19. Comply with-up analysis revealed on Jan. 25, 2022, reveals equally strong immunity from an infection adopted by vaccination. OHSU analysis revealed on-line on April 29, 2021, suggests that folks beforehand contaminated with the novel coronavirus stand to get a significantly better good thing about safety towards new variants in the event that they’re vaccinated. An earlier laboratory research highlighted the significance of stopping the unfold of virus variants by way of vaccination. And one other laboratory research exhibits telltale indicators of immunity towards new variants within the blood of individuals 11 months after an infection. On July 21, 2021, OHSU scientists co-authored a research revealed within the Journal of the American Medical Affiliation linking age to immune response measured in blood serum.
- An OHSU research goals to raised perceive the immune system’s response to COVID-19 throughout and after being pregnant.
- OHSU scientists and physicians are engaged in a multipronged effort throughout the establishment to enhance scientific understanding of the novel coronavirus and convey the pandemic below management.
- In November 2020, OHSU introduced a partnership with the native nonprofit Self Enhancement Inc. on a pilot research that mixes wastewater monitoring with voluntary saliva-based testing of residents in 4 Portland neighborhoods. Preliminary outcomes are promising, and the venture has helped forge connections with traditionally underserved communities.
- An OHSU-led proof evaluate, revealed in June 2020, finds that facial coverings seem to lower the chance of spreading respiratory sicknesses in group settings.
- OHSU knowledge scientists are main a nationwide collaboration of clinicians, informaticians and different biomedical researchers who purpose to show knowledge from a whole bunch of 1000’s of medical data from coronavirus sufferers into efficient therapies and predictive analytical instruments that might assist reduce or finish the pandemic.
- OHSU has joined with different universities and educational medical facilities throughout the nation to ease licensing necessities to expedite promising new applied sciences to diagnose, deal with and forestall COVID-19.
- OHSU presents free screening for COVID-19 amongst college students in Ok-12 faculties throughout three areas of the state, in a partnership with the Oregon Well being Authority and Oregon Division of Training.
- OHSU dramatically elevated the area’s capability to trace virus variants, by way of new investments by federal and state public well being authorities. The initiative harnesses the college’s scientific and analysis experience.
- Within the battle towards COVID-19, OHSU raced to vaccinate as many Oregonians as shortly as potential. Over time, the objective is to drive the virus into submission by slicing off its capability to unfold.
- On Dec. 3, 2020, Gov. Kate Brown appointed Louis Picker, M.D., as certainly one of two Oregon scientists to independently evaluate the security and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines that obtain emergency use authorization from the U.S. Meals and Drug Administration. On Dec. 11, 2020, Brown appointed OHSU Chief Administration Officer Connie Seeley as a particular advisor for vaccine implementation in Oregon.
- OHSU established a Linked Care Heart, obtainable by cellphone to individuals all through Oregon who search perception concerning the care of signs associated to COVID-19. The cellphone quantity is 833-647-8222.
- OHSU President Danny Jacobs, M.D., M.P.H., FACS, joined different nationwide well being care leaders in elevating alarm about disparities in well being outcomes alongside racial and socioeconomic traces amongst these affected by COVID-19. OHSU researchers confirmed the disproportionate affect of the virus on Black and Hispanic populations with an proof evaluate revealed Dec. 1, 2020.